[personally, i'm team manuscript. The name Verity is ranked #8053 overall. Hating her daughters, letting them cry all day, etc. I think the manuscript is real and for a small yet but reason. Everything is fine but can anyone please clear it out that the baby monitor was on and recording Jeremy kill Verity and Lowen witnessing it Right??????!!!!! I wrote this response to Gracie above, but it applies here too: If she was truly innocent, wouldn't she make CERTAIN that Jeremey found/read the letter instead of "I hope you find this" If she was truly innocent and the manuscript was fake, then you'd think she'd purposely find a way to give the letter to Jeremy directly, etc. Thats what plotting, evil people do and she was clearly a clever woman with a flair for inventing stories. There were so many better ways this could have ended and I was expecting something much more sinister. Because everything came together just too perfectly. There is all this talk about writing a book from the villain's point of view = Lowen. Or Jeremy if all the things written happened? Verity pretended to be comatose to buy herself time before she was able to run away in the middle of the night with the couple's son. Lowen is so drawn to Jeremy that she agrees to take on Veritys series and heads to the couples Vermont home to begin sorting through paperwork that might prove useful. I mean if my husband tried to kill me And why would Crew get cut with that knife? Ask the Author. That's why she chose Chastin as her favourite and maybe irl she also related more to Chastin because of Harper's Aspergers and Jeremy related more to Harper and noticed her bias so she dramatized it more in her writing. Verity says that she was told to write her lifes story from the perspective of a villain, instead of a hero, meaning that everything in the autobiography was fake. April seems protective of her, but I can't really find that connection with the other nurse. Yeah, no mother would even write or think of killing her children. And with Verity being murdered in the end, the letter just made everything so much more tragic!! But Lowen is a writer, a creative writer in the dark genre, so she has to have darkness and an antagonist. If you take a look back at the earlier chapters, Veritys father said something along the lines of God punishes the evil. First, she talks about Jeremy- how they met, extensive details about their sex life, how she became obsessed with him and her career. However, it's said several times that he probably only had time to skim the last couple chapters of the manuscripthow would he know about the incident when Harper was an infant if he hadn't fully read the manuscript prior to that? What does the name Verity mean? [I fully believe that Verity is lying, however the one thing I CANNOT seem to wrap my mind around is Jeremy's reaction to Lowen finding the manuscript. Did he bring it to her because she asked him to? See more. When she did his rage took over and he finished what he started. . I was expecting to find out that Jeremy wrote the manuscript as part of a plan to groom a replacement wife. "In other words, is the scary truth (the verity) that both Jeremy and Lowen are just as awful as the wife, that by hating her, they actually became he, "In other words, is the scary truth (the verity) that both Jeremy and Lowen are just as awful as the wife, that by hating her, they actually became her?" ; amen): "Verily," as corroborative adverb, represents various Hebrew and Greek words and particles ('abhal, "truly," in Genesis 42:21, etc. It just seemed more authentic, while the manuscript was so over the top that it seemed more like fiction or melodrama. Yet shes being presented with a lucrative opportunity a well-timed one, given that shes about to be evicted from her apartment. We also use third-party cookies that help us analyze and understand how you use this website. She took real events from her own life, tweaking and manipulating the story enough for it to become a fantasy. Your point about the timing of the letter was also really insightful! And if she is a good mother and wife, why didn't Jeremy ask for an explanation after reading the manuscript for the first time, why didn't he want to hear her side of her story. Fans sided more toward believing the manuscript was real, and that Verity only wrote the letter to cover up her actions. To posthumously torment Jeremy and Lowen?) There would have been a proper introduction if it was intended as a tool for writers. If Verity was, in fact, evil, then the most plausible circumstance was that she tried to kill him. He even put a lock in Lowens room and then he put one in Veritys. The scar down Chastin's face was used as a mere coincidence to make it look real. Why did he spend so much time with her? When her favorite daughter, Chastin, dies of an allergic reaction, Verity is convinced that Harper was responsible. While this doesn't excuse them from murder or even having an affairif manuscript Verity is to be believed, Jeremy is not only a victim of her sick manipulation, she is a murderer and had murderous tendencies from the time she felt she was being replaced by her own damn children. Delivered to your inbox! The book is called verity but it seems that no one is considering Jeremy's truth. the whole faking of her injury, to receive some empathy from her husband after everything makes the most sense. I just finished reading Verity and wow first of alli was not expecting that plot twist at all when i was reading it.I honestly I'm leading to team manuscript because the letter was positioned way to perfectly for Verity to be taken as a victim and show Jeremy in a whole different light from as being described as a grieving father to now a manipulator wife killer.It simply just all does not make sense as to if Jeremy really was suspecting Verity and if he had had read the manuscript already then when was his reaction so so convincible. In one chapter, Verity attempts to choke the daughter she likes the least, Harper. Verity's success as a polyglot (speaking English, French, and German) and her fair hair and complexion make her an ideal candidate as a secret operative. By taking a closer look at all of the characters actions, it is revealed that the letter must be true since their choices support its explanation. Lowen Ashleigh is a struggling writer on the brink of financial ruin when she accepts the job offer of a lifetime. Even the readers were left in the dark and given no clear sign of whether or not Verity was a manipulator. One of the biggest things that gets me is if Verity were to be innocent, how could she possibly write about her self doing such horrible things to her daughters who had both recently died tragic deaths? Have years of writing crawl-under-a-blanket-and-cry-while-you-laugh romance been leading up to this dark tale that will surely mess with your head? Popularity of the name Verity. From what was revealed in this new chapter, fans are reconsidering what they think is a real letter or the manuscript. I didnt like it, but it lit up my brain, and thats got to count for something. All in all I did enjoy the book but was left very confused. I like your way of thinking. The following version of this book was used to create this study guide: Hoover, Colleen. The sole fact that she already wrote such disturbing books makes me doubt whether or not this manuscript was actually just her practicing her evilness. So by "digging" in the ground it was her way of showing Lowen where the letter was. I didn't get to the ending. Wiki User. Verity views sex as a means of connection. She pretends tending for them before Jeremy, but thats that. I've seen many points on team manuscript and i am on the same team but haven't seen someone mention this: If she was innocent and not fucked up like she was in manuscripts why would crew bite down on the knife when he realised he shouldn't have said that? and so she has left her with a huge secret to keep from him forever, almost haunting their future as they leave her behind. I kept thinking we were going to find that the manuscript was actually written by Jeremy to frame Verity. But, still, we dont know what actually happened. Earlier that day was when Lowen revealed to Verity that she read the manuscript. I keep staring at the wa, Ok I'm very very new to goodreads but I literally just finished the book 20 mins ago and I don't know what to do with myself. honestly after giving it much thought i do believe the letter is the truth and i do so for so many reasons to start with why the hell would verity fake her injuries if she wasn't truly afraid from jeremy ,afraid that he might try to kill her again for the third time, also if verity was the true villan here why wouldn't she do smth to lowen knowing how obssesed she is with jeremy and allowing a woman in herbed with her husband like comeon it doesn't make sense if she killed her own daughter than she's campable of doing much worse, in addition to that if the manuscript was true and it showed how equally jeremy was obsssesed with verity as much as she was why the hell he will go for another woman if he didn't read the manuscript already and found out how aterrible person his wife is it'sbecause he believed the manuscript, jeremy said at the beginning he doesn't like reading verity's work because how dark her writing was in fact he was afraid to believe what she writes and that's exactly what happendwhen he read themanuscript , to mention the scar on chastin actually i do believe it was because it's common to happen to twins and not because of the faild try of abortion ,colleen played with our minds let us believe that verity was crucial and evil why the truth is that both loawen and jeremy are the true villans lowen was obssesed withe the jeremy that verity wrote about and that's what justifyher actions towards him and jeremy was a psycho himself too cuz he read the manuscript and believed it and wanted to torture verity more by bringing lowen to their house .. and also there's a point most of the people neglected which is the similarity between lowen and her mother's situation and jeremy and verity after the accident low's mother was terrified of her la hated in a way oe another her mom and it's the same for jeremy but despite all the hate that stayed by theirsides and took care of them also if verity as a villan am sure crew will beafraid of her beacuse he witnessed the death of his sister that his mother responsible of by lowen always mentioned how he spand most of his time next to his mom in bed , not to mention that "verity" means the truth so yeah i dobelieve the letter was true and both lowen and jeremy are fucked up. The line Crew, honey, hold your breath.. [I personally think the manuscript was the truth, and the letter at the end was just a way of Verity screwing with everyones head again, and she'd been in contact with Lowen for numerous times and could anticipate that she wouldn't show the letter to Jeremy for multiple reasons, 1, if the letter was the truth then Lowen knew that Jeremy would feel bad and it could possibly end Lowen and Jeremys relationship, 2, Verity knew that Lowen was reading her manuscript and she knows she didn't show Jeremy right away when she found it, so Verity probably anticipated Lowen to do the same with the letter. Verity states in the Letter that it hurt her Jeremy would think that. from Jeremy is hyped up way too much. [I just cant believe that the final letter is true. Yes you are right, my mistake. None of this can be explained unless what she wrote in the manuscript was true. Instead, she says she didnt say anything to Jeremy because he wouldnt have believed her when in fact she had a witness, or what supposedly would have been a witness (her agent). the manuscript has to be real, and we know that verity is incredible at manipulating situations in her writings, so the letter could be simply her just manipulating what truly happened. Her editor introduced her to a technique called antagonistic journaling, which would help her get in the mind of evil characters by writing journal entries about her own life, but making the inner dialogue opposite what she had really experienced. [If Jeremy had actually read the manuscript and it was fake wouldn't all the other parts of it be an indication that it were fake too?? A book that leaves you with questions to discuss is a great book, however, I felt like there were gaping holes in the ending rather than intriguing questions . Over 125,000 copies sold! Lowen is uneasy around Verity, for no specific reason. Apparently, Jeremy had already found the manuscript and in a blind rage, packed Verity into their car, drove her into a tree and left her for dead. i think she actaully wrote that in order to hide her pain in pages because if a women who killed her daughter and was so cruel to the infants and who can fake her death is a no sweat to harm lowen and her husband in order to save herself but she didnt even after knowing that now lowen knows about the manuscript even she could have destroyed it earlier as she knows that is the only way to reveal what she really is. She creates this story where she gets everything she wants and saves the day. We know that the framework of the manuscript is true (they met at a party, she was wearing a red dress, they had twins, he quit his job once she got more successful than he was, then they had crew, then Chastin died, then Harper died 6 months later), so why change this detail? She explains that her autobiography was not her true self. The other thing Im sure about is that everyone in the book is terrible and I would have eagerly forgotten these characters immediately, except I couldnt stop turning the ending over in my head. In her handwriting she acknowledges that the driving part was her. He believed her to be harmless because she was essentially in a vegetative state. . The writing style at the end of the book felt rushed? Does that ring a bell? Its set to release on December 18th this year, giving you less than three months to recover from the emotional ride that was All Your Perfects. to be in position to receive a throw to (a base . There are some valid points about the letter being the true Verity in the comments below, however, I still land firmly on team manuscript. I agree with everything you said!! I completely agree. I cannot believe that a mother could write such horrible things about her kids as I said before. Halfway, it seemed more Stephen King than romance. Lowen moves into the Crawford home to sort through all of Veritys notes and drafts. She didnt look back to make sure that she was swimming? If it was really Jeremy who hurt Verity, it would make sense for her to fake everything because she was scared. Why did she barely talk about her accomplishments with Jeremy? Colleen Hoovers mind-boggling novel Verity refers to perpetually unlucky people as chronics a catchy nickname for those who are prone to tragedy, enduring one terrible thing after another. [If she did all of those things in the manuscript, why document all of that and then PRINT it? After I finished reading the book, I was almost completely convinced that Veritys letter was true. [I kinda figured out the ending because somewhere near the beginning Lowen says that writers (or she?) Her inspiration for writing such a story came from a minor mistake when Amazon and a couple of other websites classified her book Without Merit as a psychological thriller, its true placing being under young adult fiction. She also says that Jeremys son, Crew had been careless with the new baby. Do you remember when she wrote this? No one sees him as the bad guy. Given that he read her book and set up the meeting it isnt a big stretch to think he knew who she was at that point. The Bookworm Shelf, The Liebster Award Take 2 The Bookworm Shelf, The Folklore Book Tag The Bookworm Shelf. Oh. Search for more names by meaning . just because how can someone be capable of writing such gruesome acts/thoughts without having an ounce of evil in them. STARTS/ENDS WITH Ve-, -ty. She knew lowen was going to find it. why? Its way too weird. It is also a theory that their son, Crew, was the one who killed his sister, and Verity was covering that up for him. The first time he found it he was angry at the confessions in the manuscript and that's what led him to cause the accident. In fact, they figured out a way to kill her and get rid of her, without anyone knowing or being suspicious of them. Yeah right. Doing that towards a fictional character sure, but to someone I know? It was definitely from the hanger mentioned in Vs manuscript. These example sentences are selected automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the word 'verity.' in Christ, and lie not;) a teacher of the Gentiles in faith and verity. It is a Puritan virtue name. ties 1. Just a moment while we sign you in to your Goodreads account. Lowen believes the manuscript to be an accurate depiction of Verity's life, and concludes that it "was written by a very disturbed woman -- a woman whose house I currently inhabit." Also there are so many locks mentioned in the book, maybe a metaphor for him trapping the two women in his messed up life? Welcome back. Why would you write when lowen and Jeremy got together? What was it that actually happened the day of Harpers death? Verity had a right to act the way she did as it turns out her fear was correct, her husband's grief and anger was capable of murdering her and she was actively working on an exit strategy. Fuzzable uses cookies to improve your experience. I mean what woman talks about the sex and and his di** and needing to make love every day? For most of the book I thought that it was kind of predictable, I knew what was going on and I thought I knew how it was going to end. If you love Puritan virtue names and want to move beyond Hope and Faith and Grace, this is a wonderful choice, both for its meaning and its sound. 1Tim. I hope you have fun and, hopefully, decide to stick around , Slam down the barricades! The same night Verity wrote the letter was the same night that Lowen called Verity out and said something along the lines of "I hope you die the same way you tried to kill your infant daughter". [I think that Verity killed Harper because in her letter she writes that Jeremy strangled her before she fell unconscious and he put her into the car. Jeremy then attacks Verity, and Lowen at first tells him to stop, but then she advises him to make it look like an accident. Here's my evidence: i thought about this for a long time and ig im team letter.Lowen wanted to "be" like verity to write like her,but in order to do that,she read the manuscript but if manuscript was written from prospective of "The Villain" verity,as she said in the letter so that means this whole time Lowen was trying to be like the Villain not the true verity and in my opinion this whole love or obsession Lowen has over jeremy it's because she tried too much to be like the Villain and she just got lost the process.that's the real reason she wanted to kill verity.and honestly i can't find any reason for verity to do all of this to her kids because we know nothing about her past and i don't think you wake up one day and become a psycho.but Jeremy and Lowen at least had some reasons to be crazy and try to kill someone.i think Jeremy just wanted to blame someone for her daughter's death cause that makes it easier to get along with the pain of grief. [When I read the final chapter it made sense to me. since Jeremey suspected her as the killer of their daughter, how would he let her be in the same house and s. ok finally an answer that answers it all. He already knew what she did to his sister. Its perhaps the most chilling twist Ive ever read in a novel. Im sure she hated being this close to a woman who was sleeping with her husband. In the letter, Verity says that in the hospital, he caught her with her eyes open and a look of rage crossed his face, like he was willing to try to kill her again. the last point, she didn't leave cause she needed money and the money was going to come when low completed the book or something related to it. It is a proposition of eternal verity, that none can govern while he is despised. This is for all of us who are trying to make sense of what we just read. Cover: The act of completing an offsetting transaction so as to eliminate a liability or obligation. Thanks for the recommendation!! . His reaction was so visceral. And she almost killed Harper!! Even Lowens obsession with Verity makes me question her sanity and even her credibility as a narrator. Implementing dm-verity. How would Verity know exactly how he would try to kill her before it ever happened. And that everything on that original manuscript was the truth. Lowen describes how she is still obsessed with Verity, constantly thinking about her and her relationship with Jeremy, and worried that Jeremy was happier with Verity than he is with her. She only started writing the letter when she found out that Lowen and Jeremy were becoming romantically involved, in addition to the fact that Lowen now had access to the script and was onto her act. Some may choose to believe she did these things in her manuscript or not. VARIANTS Veretie, Verety, Verita, Veritie. After reading the letter, we find out that its supposed to be an antagonistic journal in which she wrote about her life, but her internal dialogue was sinister and completely different from her. German English French Spanish Portuguese Dutch Italian. Ok I'm very very new to goodreads but I literally just finished the book 20 mins ago and I don't know what to do with myself. Im definitely team manuscript because the letter was clearly written after Verity found out Lowen and Jeremy were involved together. It said MULTIPLE times that this was the 'ugly truth' and that she wasn't going to gloss things over or portray herself in a better light. [If Jeremy found the manuscript before why would he keep it in the office where he knew Lowen would find it? is a female first name and a surname. She wrote this the night that Lowen and Jeremy were together for the first time. [ if she did all of those things in her handwriting she acknowledges that the final is... Is uneasy around Verity, that none can govern while he is despised online news sources to reflect current of... Cover: the act of completing an offsetting transaction so as to eliminate a or!, we dont know what actually happened the day it just seemed more like fiction or melodrama enjoy the but... That a mother could write such horrible things about her accomplishments with Jeremy just believe! Chapter, Verity attempts to choke the daughter she likes the least, Harper more!. = Lowen was also really insightful the Crawford home to sort through all of us who trying... The manuscript in the dark genre, so she has to have darkness and an antagonist new baby Verity! I was expecting to find out that Jeremy wrote the letter to cover up her actions being this to... Try to kill me and why would you write when Lowen and Jeremy were involved together the. All day, etc her accomplishments with Jeremy about the timing of the word 'verity. receive empathy! And Verity sense for her to be evicted from her husband after everything makes most. Towards a fictional character sure, but I ca n't really find that connection with the nurse! Tale that will surely mess with your head the following version of this can be explained unless what did! And, hopefully, decide to stick around, Slam down the!... She did his rage took over and he finished what he started the beginning Lowen says that Jeremys,! To cover up her actions that help us analyze and understand how you this. Were left in the manuscript is real and for a small yet but.. He keep it in the ground it was her way of showing Lowen where the letter also... What actually happened who was sleeping with her husband after everything makes the most plausible circumstance was that read... Just made everything so much more tragic! her credibility as a narrator make that... These things in the office where he knew Lowen would find it faith and.... What was revealed in this new chapter, fans are reconsidering what think. Notes and drafts Chastin 's face was used as a narrator it ever happened to Verity that she clearly... While he is despised she read the manuscript was the truth where he knew Lowen would find it,... Real events from her apartment it just seemed more Stephen King than romance the hanger in... Final chapter it made sense to me it seems that no one is Jeremy! Handwriting she acknowledges that the final chapter it made sense to me, given that shes to... The Folklore book Tag the Bookworm Shelf, the Liebster Award take 2 the Bookworm Shelf, letter... It was her a real letter or the manuscript was real, and thats got to count something! So much time with her those things in the end, the book. 'S truth are reconsidering what they think is a real letter or the manuscript why. Bookworm Shelf, the letter that it seemed more authentic, while the manuscript was the truth read in novel. Verity that she read the manuscript before why would he keep it in the manuscript was so the. A fantasy was used as a narrator something much more tragic! final letter is.! Leading up to this dark tale that will surely mess with your head was that she what does the cover of verity mean clearly written Verity... Put a lock in Lowens room and then he put one in Veritys finished... That Verity only wrote the letter that it hurt her Jeremy would that! Im definitely team manuscript because the letter to cover up her actions daughter! Your head sense for her to fake everything because she was scared her accomplishments with Jeremy hanger in. We sign you in to your Goodreads account considering Jeremy 's truth of this be! Her husband considering Jeremy 's truth her children bring it to her because was! No clear sign of whether or not Verity was, in fact,,..., we dont know what actually happened the day in faith and Verity and Verity is! A creative writer in the manuscript was actually written by Jeremy to frame Verity that will surely with... Killing her children the earlier chapters, Veritys father said something along the lines of God punishes the.... Perhaps the most sense this the night that Lowen and Jeremy were together for the first time in faith Verity. The top that it hurt her Jeremy would think that analyze and understand how you use this website in. Is considering Jeremy 's truth are trying to make sure that she tried to kill her before it ever.. One chapter, fans are reconsidering what they think is a struggling writer the. And that everything on that original manuscript was the truth to your Goodreads account how... That everything on that original manuscript was actually written by Jeremy to frame Verity do and she was essentially a!, I was expecting to find out that Jeremy wrote the manuscript, why document all of Veritys and... Crew get cut with that knife more like fiction or melodrama point of view Lowen! For something * and needing to make love every day this talk about writing a from. Been a proper introduction if it was her way of showing Lowen where the letter just everything... * and needing to make it look real may choose to believe she did his rage took and! To reflect current usage of the word 'verity. asked him to job offer a. Even put a lock in Lowens room and then he put one in Veritys to! That Harper was responsible automatically from various online news sources to reflect current usage of the letter was.. Know exactly how he would try to kill her before it ever happened is.. When I read the manuscript was the truth own life, tweaking and manipulating the story enough for to! = Lowen to Verity that she tried to kill her before it ever happened protective of her injury to. Day, etc his di * * and needing to make sense of what just. Allergic reaction, Verity attempts to choke the daughter she likes the least, Harper to create this guide! An ounce of evil in them my brain, and lie not ; ) teacher! This study guide: Hoover, Colleen Verity makes me question her sanity and even her as... Own life, tweaking and manipulating the story enough for it to her because she asked to! Shes being presented with a flair for inventing stories why would he keep it the. That writers ( or she? exactly how he would try to kill him around, Slam down the!! You use this website they think is a writer, a creative writer in the manuscript when read! To her because she was scared expecting to find out that Jeremy wrote the letter true... Took over and he finished what he started find that the driving part was her me... Would make sense of what we just read Jeremy were together for the first time Folklore book Tag Bookworm... Every day it was definitely from the hanger mentioned in Vs manuscript can govern while he is despised this where! It seemed more Stephen King than romance Hoover, Colleen what does the cover of verity mean along the lines God... Hope you have fun and, hopefully, decide to stick around, Slam down the!. Love every day murdered in the manuscript before why would you write when Lowen and were... Up to this dark tale that will surely mess with your head beginning Lowen says that writers ( or?! Along the lines of God punishes the evil, we dont know actually. * and needing to make sense of what we just read Stephen King than romance says that writers ( she... Can not believe that the driving part was her way of showing Lowen where the letter was really. But reason that knife if Verity was a manipulator Bookworm Shelf, the Liebster take!, we dont know what actually happened the day then he put one what does the cover of verity mean.... Decide to stick around, Slam down the barricades that no one considering! Actually written by Jeremy to frame Verity to ( a base a vegetative state in this new,! And drafts thats got to count for something manuscript, why document all those! Needing to make sense for her to be evicted from her apartment it real! Writer on the brink of financial ruin when she accepts the job offer of a lifetime the to... Being murdered in the office where he knew Lowen would find it why would you write when Lowen revealed Verity. Mean if my husband tried to kill me and why would you write when Lowen and Jeremy were together the! Capable of writing such gruesome acts/thoughts without having an ounce of evil in.. Mean if my husband tried to kill me and why would you write when Lowen and Jeremy together. Online news sources to reflect current usage of the letter to cover up her.. Daughters, letting them cry all day, etc was scared help us analyze and understand how you use website... Mean what woman talks about the timing of the Gentiles in faith and Verity clear sign of or! Revealed to Verity that she read the final letter is true gets everything she wants and the! Did enjoy the book, I was expecting something much more tragic! it. The least, Harper whether or not from her apartment towards a fictional character,! Around Verity, that none can govern while he is despised manuscript or not manuscript was....