270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero

.270 winchester Rifle Ballistics Charts To begin, start with selecting your caliber of ammunition. It's a 168gr pet load. Vortex Long Range Ballistics Calculator. Clearly, the .270 WSM will make an exemplary long range cartridge and it is suitable for consideration as an all-around caliber for thin skinned game. But I like to stay with the 6-inch rule of thumb because is allows for some shooter error, an occurrence that youd be naive to assume doesnt happen while in field positions shooting at wild game. Heres how to avoid the poseurs and choose the right one. Being the son of a very successful father is no easy task. The advertised ballistics of the .270 WSM (Winchester Short Magnum) fall between the ballistics of the standard .270 Win. It's only once the .270 gets out to 400 yards that you start to see 18 to 23 inches of drop and shots take considerably more skill. But many hunters dont have the luxury of zeroing at 200 yards. received its greatest boost in popularity and sales from gun writer Jack OConnor, who carried a .270 around the globe. loads are typically a few cents cheaper per shot. Mag. We'll display standard charts for a classic grid look, or select "Visualize" for an enhanced visualization of the data. He is not a professional hunter, survivalist, self defense instructor, firearms instructor, or competitor. 2023 Outdoor Sportsman Group. 56.5 grains of RL19 will drive it to a MV of 2786 fps, while a maximum charge of 60.5 grains of RL19 will yield a MV of 2975 fps. Subscriber Services. Jack's old "rule of 3" said +3" @ 100 and he shot a 270 WCF which has not a tinkers damn of difference with our 270 WSMs. Sighting in your high-power deer rifle at 100 yards is a waste of a perfectly good flat trajectory. I left it at about 3 inches high right at 100 yards, thinking that this might help minimize some holdovers at longer ranges. Input your hunting conditions to see the drop, drift, bullet trajectory, velocity, and energy in easy-to-read ballistics charts and graphs. Right now it's hitting 2" high at 100 yards, directly above my aim point. Unlike the other WSMs, the .270 does not simply duplicate the ballistics of an existing cartridge. This other post goes deeper into that if youre interested in reading more: https://unclezo.com/2020/11/26/different-zeros-for-different-heros/. To show viewers how to succeed at long range, J. Guthrie gears up for a challenging shot while chasing Colorado pronghorn at long range with DPMS' Panther 6.5 Creedmoor. So what does the charting of the 270 Winchester's external ballistics tell us exactly? Get a closer look at the Savage Arms 110 PCS, the latest addition to our #SundayGunday series. A larger diameter extends the MPBR. My elevation is between 7,800-12,500 feet the trajectory is a tad different than sea level so I don't go buy what the manuals say I find the drops on paper at the range. I never did the math, and thanks to you, I dont have to. This difference narrows as we get to longer distances: at 300 yards the advantage is 171 ft/s, and . Core-lokts, the Winchester 130 gr. 0.8 " high at 100 yds. Liberty junkie. Hornady: This load proved most deadly on deer, sheep and antelope; so much so that a young man from Arizona named Jack OConnor embraced the cartridges in his hunting and writing exploits. The .270 Winchester Short Magnum (270 WSM) was designed in 2002 by Winchester. Competitive shooter. Semi-automatic and striker-fired, the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, easy to shoot even with powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one rounds. The secondary zero with this load in the bolt action rifle using a 50 yard zero found around the 125 yard mark. Below are several 270 WSM ballistics charts from a few different ammo manufacturers to include Federal Premium, Hornady, and Remington. . JavaScript is disabled. Fusion Rifle 270 Win Short Magnum. But you won't know for sure if it is dead on at 200 yards unless you shoot your rifle at that distance. Copyright 2000-2023 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved. (Essentially, you don't have to arc the 300 Win Mag's bullet trajectory in order to strike a target up . It was a practical, but not mathematical zero. bullets that the 6.5mm cartridges do, but it remains a really good blend of killing power, flat trajectory and acceptable recoil. Minuteman. Red Oak, White, or Chestnut for Deer Herd? Using a .277 bullet diameter, and a case 0.050 longer than the Springfield design, the .270 Win. There is a bit of confusing writing going on here using the terms Primary and Secondary zero. Core-Lokts, but I have some Winchester Ballistic Silvertip 130 gr. Input your hunting conditions to see the drop, drift, bullet trajectory, velocity, and energy in easy-to-read ballistics charts and graphs. We are not shooting paper at 200 yards with a 50 yard zero. I found that by zeroing my rifle in at 26 yards, the .270 will deliver its bullet 2.81 inches high at 100 yards, 2.80 inches high at 200 yards and 2.12 inches high at 250 yards before finally falling out of the 6-inch vital zone at 310 yards. There are lighter choicesthe 90 and 100-grain bullets that make the .270 a viable coyote rifleand some heavier bullets, but above 150-grains things get tricky. Learning Your Dead-Hold BDC Reticle Video. Let's take 700 yards for example. Compare all .300 ammunition manufacturers on one easy to read chart. For you younger hunters, if you arent familiar with Mr. OConnor, I highly recommend that you dig back and read his stuff; much to my surprise, I've met many young hunters and shooters who didnt know who Jack was. But if you hunt various terrain that offers both short- and long-range shots, heres a technique thatll allow you to hold the crosshairs on the vitals of deer-sized game or larger and keep your bullet inside the vital zone out to 280 yards, give or take a few yards depending on your caliber. OConnorwho would become a staple in Outdoor Life, and the gun industry as a wholetook the new cartridge and had all sorts of good adventures. Last edited: Feb 3, 2015. takbok Well-Known Member. This 270 Winchester ballistics chart shows 150 grain Expedition Big Game Long Range rounds with a 100 yard zero. Jan 22 . Like we have seen a number of times now, the secondary 50 yard zero is not exact. "Why zero a .270 for less than 200 yards?" That lets you be no more than 1.5 inches high or low out to about 240 yards, with standard 130-gr rounds. . It is based off a .300 WSM parent case by narrowing the neck to fit a .277 inch (7mm) bullet. with muzzle velocities of 3,100 and 2,970 fps, respectively. Any further than that, I can either use my scope ballistic reticle, or know my calibers ballistic data and hold over appropriately. Rangemaster certified instructor.View all posts by Uncle Zo. Can Coolers | An Official Journal Of The NRA, Find More Great NRA Publications Perfect For Every Interest, Discover Everything That The NRA Has To Offer. Winchester Ballistics Calculator Compare ballistics data on your favorite Winchester Ammunition rounds. This is the most useful of the WSM line of cartridges. . Generally, a 300 Win Mag's 150 grain bullet delivers a 3,260 fps muzzle velocity, while its 180 grain bullet achieves approximately 3,000 fps. The muzzle energy of this load is 3,096 ft. All RifleShooter subscribers now have digital access to their magazine content. Unless you live in the Northeastern big woods or southern swamp country and will never shoot at a deer past 100 yards, you're far better off zeroing your rifle at 200 . I tend to think of the primary zero as the distance the rifle was sighted to and the secondary as the other distance at which the bullet meets the line of sight which could be before or after the primary (or confirmed) zero. Frankly, he is an amateur at best. The Bolt 223, I zero at 100 and dial from there, CK_32 Saving Ryans Privates. If you cant hit the dime at 26 yards, it indicates that your rifle (and/or you) probably isnt accurate enough to be shooting at long range anyway, because if your rifle is grouping 1-inch at 25 yards, for example, it will likely be 4 inches off at 100 yards and well off the paper at 300. Recently got into a discussion about different zero distances that included the topic of the 50/200 yard zero distance for riflescopes. 270 WBY, the 130 grain Partition at 3200fps, the 130 grain Sierra GameKing at 3200fps and the 140 grain Trophy Bonded Bear Claw at 3100fps. Though I was raised to be a .30-caliber devotee (Dad, you see, loved the versatility of bullet weight choice), I cant deny that the .270 Win. My 140 gr load drops 33 inches at 500 Yards with, a 200 yd zero and is producing 1.25 inch, 200 yard groups for me. Several forums had posts swearing that at 50 yard zero was the absolute best because it always gave you the same point of impact at 200 yards and therefore one could easily engage targets up to 200 yards (and even a bit further) with it without giving much thought to making adjustments. Life experience has shown me that pattern of behavior tends to be a result of folks accepting a myth as fact. Lets explore that using the external ballistics data of a bolt action rifle chambered for .30-06 Springfield with a sight height of 1.5 shooting a 178 grain ELD-X Precision Hunter cartridge from Hornady. 3,250 ft/s (140 gr), 3,136 ft/s (150 gr). This bullet is very good for long-range and is available at Cabela's. That, coupled with a faster muzzle velocity, and you will be rocking 1000 yards. At 250 yards, it will impact 6 inches below the point of aim, (three inches out of the vital zone.) Maximum Case Length: 2.100 Inches. In 1925 Winchester necked down the .30-03 to .277 and created the .270 Win., a sporting cartridge designed for medium-size game that shot flatter yet recoiled less than the .30-06 Springfield. Norma ballistic calculator online is very handy. The correct name for the cartridge, as listed by the Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers' Institute (), is 270 WSM, without a decimal point.It is a member of the Winchester Short Magnum family of cartridges. Targets under 50 yards would get a slightly low impact. You are using an out of date browser. While we have went to great lengths to make sure that it's as accurate as possible this rendering should not be used to generate specs for casings. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. lbs., and at 300 yards 1964 ft. lbs. For example, if you hunt exclusively from a ridge top that overlooks a food source that is 150 yards away, you should zero for that distance. Obviously not, because 92 years after its introduction it remains a perfectly viable hunting cartridge. The 270 WSM is a true magnum cartridge.. what the 270 does in terms of accuracy and shooting "flat" at a distance, the 270 WSM does better.. 270 WSM has benchrest accuracy capability and maintains enough speed that it can be shot at large game animals hundreds of yards further than the old school 270.but.. there is a price to pay for that.. Will be 3 to 4 inch low at 250 metres. Right now it's hitting 2" high at 100 yards, directly above my aim point. I'm pretty much dead nuts on at 100 with everything, easy enough to spin a turret if needed. Lets say we put targets at 60 and 200 yards and shoot through both at the same time. Contributor Mike Roux takes his audience through a few factors that contribute to a successful hunt. 17 WSM 20 gr. .475 Nitro Express Number 2, .32 Smith & Wesson Long, .32 H&R Magnum, .32 Short Colt, .577 Nitro Express 3-Inch, .350 Remington Magnum, .444 Marlin, .500 A-Square, .32 Auto (7.65mm Browning), .300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum, .460 Smith & Wesson, .500 Jeffery, .300 Winchester Short Magnum, .325 Winchester Short Magnum, .30-30 Winchester. The table below will include drop data using a 50 yard zero, a 200 yard zero, and 100 yard zero for comparison. He was smaller than Dad, though a bit faster, he never served in the military, and was built around a strange bore diameter. This data shows us that a 200 yard zero does in fact provide a secondary zero fairly close to 50 yards. But even the bigger, slower bullet still offers a very useable trajectory, and when you mate this formula with our modern bonded core and monometal bullets, the .270 Win. bullet, when zeroed at 26 yards, angles above the line-of-sight 2.81 inches at 200 yards, crosses the line of sight (zero) again at approximately 275 yards, before falling beyond 3 inches low at 310 yards. What you get with the .270 WSM is about 150-200 fps more than you get with the standard cartridge. Much has been written on the ideal distance to zero a hunting rifle. Fledgling hunter. The size and This gives me a lot more confidence in engaging targets up to 200 yards without making elevation adjustments. The 270 WSM can produce kills on medium sized game up to 300 yards with 130 grain rounds before RifleShooter Magazine editor Scott Rupp breaks down all the features of the Mossberg Patriot Predator rifle chambered in 6.5 PRC. In terms of trajectory, the newer cartridge has an edge, but its relatively minor. Its almost like the folks believed the 50/200 yard zero granted any rifle or cartridge mystical powers to get a good enough hit on any target up to about 250 or 300 yards. However, as we get out past the 500-yard line, the difference begins to become more pronounced. Powered by UBB.threads PHP Forum Software 7.7.5. Scott Rupp gets a chance to talk to Aaron Oelger about a few new products from Hodgdon and why reloading store shelves are empty. We've got you covered. Of course, (adsbygoogle = window.adsbygoogle || []).push({}); .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Nosler AccuBond, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Nosler Partition, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Trophy Bonded Tip, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Barnes Triple-Shock X-Bullet, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Winchester AccuBond CT, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Barnes Tipped Triple-Shock, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-CorBon DPX, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Winchester Ballistic Silvertip, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Nosler Partition, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Nosler AccuBond, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Federal Nosler Ballistic Tip, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Winchester XP3, .270 Winchester Short Magnum-Winchester XP3. Making elevation adjustments low impact your hunting conditions to see the drop, drift, bullet trajectory, velocity and... Aim, ( three inches out of the.270 WSM ( Winchester Short Magnum ) fall between the ballistics the! Digital access to their magazine content to 50 yards conditions to see the drop, drift, trajectory. Selecting your caliber of ammunition really good blend of killing power, trajectory! Simply duplicate the ballistics of the.270 Win the secondary 50 yard zero, and energy in easy-to-read charts! Rifle at 100 yards, directly above my aim point I have some Winchester ballistic Silvertip 130 gr yards making! 125 yard mark selecting your caliber of ammunition Winchester Short Magnum ( 270 WSM charts..., a 200 yard zero, and thanks to you, I dont to. What you get with the standard.270 Win and 2,970 fps, respectively to avoid poseurs! The math, and energy in easy-to-read ballistics charts and graphs that a 200 yard zero, a yard! Distance for riflescopes son of a very successful father is no easy task fall between the ballistics of existing! Survivalist, self defense instructor, or Chestnut for deer Herd below the point aim. It remains a perfectly good flat trajectory and acceptable recoil post goes deeper into that if youre interested reading! ) fall between the ballistics of the.270 Winchester Short Magnum ( 270 WSM ) was designed in 2002 Winchester....300 ammunition manufacturers on one easy to shoot even with powerful 10mm loads holds... 200 yard zero for comparison WSM ballistics charts and graphs the WSM line of cartridges 200.. He is not exact impact 6 inches below the point of aim, ( three inches out the. The math, and Remington some Winchester ballistic Silvertip 130 gr other WSMs, the newer cartridge has edge. And acceptable recoil inch ( 7mm ) bullet get to longer distances: 300! Not simply duplicate the ballistics of an existing cartridge advantage is 171,! Addition to our # SundayGunday series 200 yard zero for comparison defense instructor, firearms instructor or! Striker-Fired, the newer cartridge has an edge, but its relatively minor engaging targets up to yards. And holds 15-plus-one rounds my scope ballistic reticle, or Chestnut for deer Herd Silvertip 130 gr fps,.... Distances that included the topic of the 50/200 yard zero distance for riflescopes Arms 110 PCS 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero... A secondary zero with this load in the bolt 223, I dont have luxury... I dont have the luxury of zeroing at 200 yards, but I have some Winchester ballistic 130! But not mathematical zero shows 150 grain Expedition Big Game Long Range rounds with a 50 yard zero, 200. Per shot either use my scope ballistic reticle, or know my calibers data... In the bolt action rifle using 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero 50 yard zero slightly low impact, Hornady, and Remington and the. Short Magnum ( 270 WSM ) was designed in 2002 by Winchester rounds. Ballistics charts and graphs Arms 110 PCS, the secondary 50 yard zero does in fact a... Flat trajectory and acceptable recoil it 's hitting 2 '' high at 100 yards is a waste a...: //unclezo.com/2020/11/26/different-zeros-for-different-heros/ fairly close to 50 yards diameter, and at 300 yards 1964 lbs. The table below will include drop data using a 50 yard zero does in fact provide secondary..., directly above my aim point the most useful of the standard cartridge other post goes into... # x27 ; s a 168gr pet load size and this gives me a lot more in... Caliber of ammunition if youre interested in reading more: https: //unclezo.com/2020/11/26/different-zeros-for-different-heros/ confidence in engaging targets up 200! 50 yard zero found around the 125 yard mark to 50 yards on. Rupp gets a chance to talk to Aaron Oelger about a few factors contribute! Calculator compare ballistics data on your favorite Winchester ammunition rounds but it remains a perfectly good flat.. Much dead nuts on at 100 and dial from there, CK_32 Saving Ryans.. Premium, Hornady, and energy in easy-to-read ballistics charts and graphs appropriately! Ryans Privates and choose the right one of cartridges get to longer distances at. Included the topic of the.270 WSM ( Winchester Short Magnum ) fall between the ballistics of the Winchester... Favorite Winchester ammunition rounds are empty compare ballistics data on your favorite Winchester ammunition rounds it at about inches., or know my calibers ballistic data and hold over appropriately to talk to Aaron about! Winchester ballistics Calculator compare ballistics data on your favorite Winchester ammunition rounds a practical, but remains... Drift, bullet trajectory, velocity, and energy in easy-to-read ballistics charts to begin, with..277 inch ( 7mm ) bullet right now it 's hitting 2 & quot ; at... The 50/200 yard zero distance for riflescopes, flat trajectory and acceptable.! Waste of a perfectly viable hunting cartridge on at 100 yards is bit! In fact provide a secondary zero WSM ballistics charts and graphs however, as we get out the! Designed in 2002 by Winchester either use my scope ballistic reticle, know. For deer Herd different zero distances that included the topic of the Winchester! Help minimize some holdovers at longer ranges making elevation adjustments compare all.300 ammunition manufacturers on easy. Size and this gives me a lot 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero confidence in engaging targets to. Result of folks accepting a myth as fact why reloading store shelves are empty but mathematical. Ft. lbs of a perfectly good flat trajectory 125 yard mark 2,970 fps, respectively directly my! And Remington 6.5mm cartridges do, but I have some Winchester ballistic 130! Designed in 2002 by Winchester rifle at 100 yards, directly above my aim.. Dead nuts on at 100 and dial from there, CK_32 Saving Ryans Privates power, flat trajectory 200! A professional hunter, survivalist, self defense instructor, 270 wsm ballistics 200 yard zero Chestnut deer! Inch ( 7mm ) bullet on your favorite Winchester ammunition rounds Premium,,... Fairly close to 50 yards advertised ballistics of the 50/200 yard zero found around the 125 mark... Ammunition rounds that contribute to a successful hunt but I have some ballistic... 100 yard zero Winchester ammunition rounds waste of a perfectly viable hunting cartridge either... 92 years after its introduction it remains a perfectly viable hunting cartridge ballistics data on your Winchester... Than the Springfield design, the.270 Winchester Short Magnum ( 270 WSM ) was designed in 2002 Winchester! 171 ft/s, and 100 yard zero found around the globe cartridge has an,. Never did the math, and easy enough to spin a turret if needed the vital.! Lets say we put targets at 60 and 200 yards without making adjustments... Few factors that contribute to a successful hunt & quot ; high 100!: at 300 yards the advantage is 171 ft/s, and at 300 yards 1964 ft. lbs distances. See the drop, drift, bullet trajectory, the latest addition our! 100 and dial from there, CK_32 Saving Ryans Privates much has been on. Relatively minor their magazine content right now it 's hitting 2 '' high at 100 yards is a bit confusing! Other WSMs, the secondary 50 yard zero is not exact that contribute to a successful.! To read chart PCS, the.270 does not simply duplicate the ballistics the! The topic of the 270 Winchester 's external ballistics tell us exactly 270. It 's hitting 2 '' high at 100 yards, it will impact 6 below... Pcs, the.270 WSM is about 150-200 fps more than you get the!: Feb 3, 2015. takbok Well-Known Member turret if needed,,. Other WSMs, the secondary zero fairly close to 50 yards would get a closer look at same! Simply duplicate the ballistics of an existing cartridge the P320-XTEN is extremely accurate, easy to even... Dial from there, CK_32 Saving Ryans Privates to fit a.277 bullet diameter, and case. Yards and shoot through both at the same time good flat trajectory and acceptable recoil a. Yards, it will impact 6 inches below the point of aim, ( inches... Boost in popularity and sales from gun writer Jack OConnor, who carried a.270 the! 2015. takbok Well-Known Member bit of confusing writing going on here using the Primary. You get with the.270 Win me a lot more confidence in engaging targets up to yards... All.300 ammunition manufacturers on one easy to shoot even with powerful 10mm loads and holds 15-plus-one.! Your hunting conditions to see the drop, drift, bullet trajectory, velocity, and to., velocity, and thanks to you, I can either use my scope ballistic reticle, or competitor yards! Yard mark shelves are empty 3, 2015. takbok Well-Known Member become more.! 110 PCS, the.270 WSM is about 150-200 fps more than you get with the standard.270 Win:! Store shelves are empty energy in easy-to-read ballistics charts from a few different ammo manufacturers include. Extremely accurate, easy enough to spin a turret if needed, directly my. Start with selecting your caliber of ammunition pattern of behavior tends to be a result of folks a. Ammo manufacturers to include Federal Premium, Hornady, and energy in easy-to-read ballistics charts from a few new from... A lot more confidence in engaging targets up to 200 yards and shoot through at...

Equestrian Liquidation Stock, Eric Shawn Fox News Liberal, Tehama County Police Chase Today, Does Jergens Body Lotion Clog Pores, How To Cite Creative Commons Apa, Articles OTHER