springfield armory m1a standard vs scout

I was for five years and carried an M14 everyday during one of my tours in Iraq. A first-class rifle in all regards. Lets talk about the differences among the models. Anyways, thanks for the womans perspective Becky, Ill be passing that on to my girl since her moms not around anymore; but honey, you really should try to cut back on that three pack a day chain-smoking habit before it gets worse. The M1A feels similar to both the M14 and the M1 Garand. Topping off some features, the rifle has a National Match .062-inch blade front sight and a military aperture .0690-inch rear sight with half-minute adjustment for both windage and elevation. Colby, Youve probably heard that the Springfield Armory M1A is to the M14 as the AR-15 is to the M16. The rifle was developed in conjunction with the Gunsite Academy and features their name engraved on the receiver. Meanwhile, lucky you. The rifle is heavier than an AR, but not prohibitively so. Brand: Springfield. Walther PPS 9mm. Designed for tactical defense, its an excellent choice for home-defenseor when you just need a compact rifle. Though it still measures 22-inches, the barrel is a 4-groove medium-weight stainless-steel National Match barrel with a 1:8 right-hand twist. M1As are one of the most popular and respected battle rifles in history. We hate SPAM and promise to keep your email address safe. Though its never reached the same level of popularity as the AR-15, the M1A still has a rather large and very devoted group of fans despite the M14s less than stellar reputation, earned during its service in Vietnam. M1A Standard Issue Rifles The Standard Issue M1A is a faithful semi-auto recreation of the original M14. This helps combat the increase in felt recoil from the shortened barrel. Its good to go for both long distance accuracy and quick combat-style deployment. Overall Rating * * * * Ive just ordered my first M1A and cant wait for it to arrive. The military M14 receivers were manufactured using the drop forge process, which is more complicated and more expensive. Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad Semi-Automatic 308 Winchester/7.62 NATO 18" 10+1 Synthetic Flat Dark Earth Stk Black. The M1A is an exceptional rifle for hunting, precision shooting, and self-defense, but needs to be upgraded with a stock apt to its function. Maybe I got lucky, but all three of mine shoot MOA or better with iron sights out to 300 yards. This barrel length was chosen by Springfield Armory to make the Scout Squad more portable and give it better handling characteristics than its full sized M1A. While the M1A is a semiautomatic-only rifle it's close enough to the fully-automatic M14 to make the most grizzled Vietnam vet turn all dewy-eyed. Would rather have a real M14 scout from a real M14 builder but there is no need for carpenters anymore so I will keep my Garand, as money aint happenin right now or even in the future for me. 5 Best Scout Rifles To Seriously Consider For Survival, Savage's Accuracy Enhancing AccuFit System, Modern Survival Guns: The Complete Preppers' Guide to Dealing with Everyday Threats, Gun Digest Shooters Guide to Concealed Carry, 8 On-Target Concealed Carry Insurance Options (2022), 10 Affordable Double-Barrel Shotgun Options (2022), Best AR-15 Options For Any Budget And Buyers Guide (2022), Best Concealed Carry Handguns For Women (2022). I decided to get a more traditional style scope since thats what I prefer. I have a like new condition Sako AIII finnbear delux .338 win mag thats about 40 years old with 15 rounds through it Ill trade ya. This is a beautiful rifle. Now I have the power, reliability, and accuracy of an M1A and the functionality of a CQB rifle ( actually quite a bit shorter than a standard M4 ). Not to mention the rifle can be purchased with or without a Vortex Venom red dot sight and Springfield Armory clip guide red dot mount. Spec List: - Trigger: 2-Stage NM Tuned Trigger - Caliber: .308 WIN (7.62x51mm NATO) The M14-style rifle has a reciprocating charging handle on the right (ejection) side that's simply an extension of . Of course, the rifle is available in different colors and calibers, as Cooper recognized that in some countries civilians are not allowed to own firearms that can function using military calibers. . Needs to delve into Ultralight Ar308s, POF Rogue, VSeven, Red River rifles that dont bear the name Scout like the Springfield but do everything the Squad Scout does but better. Nice rifles, I have several. Skip to main content Skip to search. It ate everything it was fed but gets finicky about extraction if the chamber is dirty. Introduced in 1974, its very similar to the Standard Issue Model in many ways but is designed for competition rather than law enforcement. Eagle Mini-14 Tactical? Even at extended distances of 400 yards and more, the rifle was more than capable of easily making the hits. Thanks! Original M1As were once even made from surplus M14 parts, though Springfield has long since run out. Just my 2 cents worth. Good review. But the barrel is only available in carbon steel. No complaints. (without magazine) Sights: Iron with rail Stock: Synthetic Action: Semi-auto Finish: Black, tan Capacity: 10+1 rounds Price: $1,849. Im sure theres more..somewhere. That said, its important to notenot all M1As are the same as there are eight available models: Each designed for different purposes with its own advantages. For the M1A shooter, the .30 caliber BOOM is immensely satisfying. It has a 22-inch, 6-groove parkerized carbon steel with a 1:11 right-hand twist. Weight is a small consideration, even for my 70-year-old legs and the Wyoming prairie land. It is not an activity for weenies or whiners. I highly advise M1A owners to install a winter trigger guard. The standard has a military aperture open .069 with MOA for windage and elevation. Firing it in full auto was a little iffy, hard to keep on target, but it was a lot of fun. 3. Really it was an awesome post. The sniper with the highest kill ratio in vietnam was an Army sniper using an M21 which is nothing more than an accurized M14 with a 10 power scope. The national match has a match grade aperture hooded .0595 with 1/2 MOA for both windage and elevation. The M1A is the civilian model of the military M14. We investigate Springfield Armory's M1A models and rundown the pros and cons of each model to help you choose the M1A that's right for you. The scope makes the rifle more fun, my old eyes dont see well enough to use the steel ones. The M14 rifle was originally designed to be used with iron sights. Acquiring a clear, accurate sight picture is fast and easy. 22 inches is just too much for me to handle. But if you live in California, you can opt for a CA-approved version with a muzzle brake instead. And its nice to be able to quickly remove the scope and with the Bobro mount have it guaranteed to return to exact point-of-aim when replaced. All in, it keeps your optic pretty low. The M16 *entered service* in 1964. If you have questions about the Scout Squad or firearms in general, feel free to shoot me a message on Instagram @fridgeoperator. Click below for a FREE LESSON! Its a nominal 1-1.5 MOA if I do my part.. Reliability * * * * Save my name, email, and website in this browser for the next time I comment. Im an average joe that really loves talking with other people about firearms and other passions. It is the ultimate National Match shooting machine for longer ranges, with superior accuracy out to 750. Great Review. (but be sure to wear good hearing protection because that thing is LOUD). The final difference between these two rifles is that the Scout uses detachable magazines, while the M16A uses internal magazines. Springfield Armory Manufacturer of the Year Ballistic Learn more This hardworking, all-purpose rifle is a great choice for hunting, home-defense, range shooting, or as a truck gun. And quickly. The MSRP for the Springfield Armory M1A Tanker 308 Rifle sits comfortably at $1,987. $54.99. version features the same barrel as the National Match model, complete with a 3-inch birdcage-style flash suppressor. I know more than a few other Marines would have too. I have been loading 100 gr bullets for it recently, and it functions very nicely, no cycling problems yet. I would have traded my M-4/203 in a HEART BEAT for an M14. A quick (and light) rear-ward tap on the op rod and the bolt slams right home. The new M14 rifle was first delivered to U.S. Army units in the summer of 1959, but it didn't take until the early to mid 1960s before the M14 had nearly completely phased out the M1 Garand. Guaranteed. Scout Squad M1A from Springfield. The M1As bolt catch/release sits on the left side of the receiver. Without that correction, the guns ultra-stiff safety made for an extremely tender trigger finger. Savage 775A 16 GA. Springfield Loaded 1911 .45. http://i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/The_H2O_, Probably gonna get one soon. The M14, by contrast, has quite usable controls in a slim, ergonomic platform. or 7.62 NATO. The M1A Scout Squad gives you the maneuverability of a scout rifle with the same power and features of a legendary American rifle. After basic I went to AIT in recon, I was issued a M16, it sure was different than the M14. The deer you drag out is hefty (well, not so much the black tail.) Also, we took in-depth look at the Springfield National Match and SOCOM 16 M1A models, so be sure to peep the full review. Otherwise this is a turd design as is the Scout concept anyway. Winchester 94 Ranger .30-30. Im sorry this fella got his panties in a bunch, but seriously, Springfield Armory M1As and .45s were good enough for him to buy nearly TWENTY over the years, but they dont send him a metal butt-plate and so hes going to LRB? The Scout model is very handy. I solved the [rifles] problem by disassembling the M1As trigger assembly and lightly polishing the safetys contact surfaces. Your backpack is hefty. (and i doubt if old Joe could even put a 240B to his shoulder) Further more, the M1-Garand is by far the most respected battle rifle in history (Next to the AK-47), and i must point out that the M14 is a perfected M1-Garand. lol. Barrel: 18 in. Is it a Leupold? With a good cheek weld when shooting with iron sights, the knuckle on my thumb wrapped around the upper portion of the pistol grip cutout on the stock comes back and hits the my nose. 4. I prefer the classic appearance of the walnutbut the composite stocks work just as well. I would say I shot very actively for about a decade (the 80s). Springfield Armory MA9102 M1A Standard Semi-Auto .308 22" 10+1 American Walnut Stock Black Parkerized 8 Reviews Your Price: $1,699.99 In stock (Only 6 left!) Barrel: 18, 6-Groove, 1:11 Right Hand Twist, Parkerized Ive put 160 rounds through it with no heat problems. The recoil was so soft from this M1A that I was fairly sure I was just shooting another AR-style rifle in a smaller caliber. Powerful, accurate, and reliable, plus the very satisfying sound of hitting steel at two hundred yards. Reduces amount of math needed for shots of that distance. .308 WIN 6.5 CREED MSRP $1,938 - $2,104 Hellcat Micro-compact Handguns One of the major differences between the standard-issue Springfield Armory M1A and the M1 Garand is definitely the gas system. Comments/thoughts. Designed to work with OEM magazine spring. Like the Scout Squad model, the SOCOM 16 comes with a muzzle brake to reduce felt recoil and reduce muzzle rise. I work around alot of roughneck boys in east Texas since Im a landman (landwoman), and it always attracts alot of attention, especially from the cute exmilitary type guys who try to hit me up for a date on the range. I also have the Smith brake on it. Even though I have a slender/petite build, the weight isnt too bad either, a little on the heavy side, but it balances well and doesnt feel much heavier than my ex-boyfriends M4 clone did with all the stuff he had clamped on it. [SHOT 2022] Zastavas in .308 Win: M77 Semi-Auto and M07-AS Bolt-Action Rifles, NEW Daniel Defense DD5 308 Short Barrel Rifle, Dark Storm Industries DS-25 Typhoon Lightweight .308 Win Rifles. Combine this with the fact that they are a company full of heritage and pride, who make a GREAT product. It comes in at 37.25-inches in length and just 8.75-pounds. (Minus the Loaded model, but more on that later.). We'll send you the latest guides and training tips geared I have about 25 guns of all types, and I can honestly say that my Scout, with composite stock, is the best gun I own. I had lots of M14s on the USS Flint and they worked well to say the least. I decided to go with the 18 M1A Scout Squad variant for a few reasons. haha. You should carry a M240b for a year if you think the M14 is heavyCheers. But, the original M-16 and ammo? Reengaging the safe was a bit tighter but still manageable fairly easily. However, its only available in the black composite. The Springfield Armory M1A Scout Rifle is semi-automatic, Jeff Cooper specified bolt action and the Springfield Armory M1A Scout Rifle weighs in at 8.8 pounds while Jeff Cooper specified the scout rifle weigh less than 6.5 pounds. If I decide to stick with an IER scope, I'll likely choose the Burris Scout Scope or one of their pistol scopes with the Ballistic Plex reticle. I trained with the M16A2 in the Marines in the early 90s, have played with many of the M-4geries over the years. In this article, were going to drill down the features on the first five models to help you figure out which M1A is best for you. Springfield Armory has been churning out M1A rifles for some time and has developed a scout version as well. It shoulders, points, and handles like a dream. A good stock must be of high quality, durable, adjustable, ergonomically balanced, aesthetically pleasing, and have extra mounting space for accessories. Early M1A rifles were built with surplus G.I. I have a Springfield M1A scout and I love it more than anything. That solves a lot of the weaknesses inherent in the rails and scope mounts available for the M1A/M14 family. When your head is tilted, your brain thinks there is a imbalance, and your accuracy & precision subconsciously suffers. It also allows you to see quite well in dim light conditions. So theyre jerks because they didnt want to sell you a buttplate for $20 which would have prevented them from selling a new rifle for $1,400? Its more gun than anyone human needs as is. First shot i jerked trigger and was low and left 3, next shot was relaxed and dead on bull. Sub-MOA at 100 yards. Most had multiple tours. One feature exclusive to the Scout Squad is Springfields M1A muzzle brake. A red dot could easily be mounted. Elevated features include a rear-lugged receiver and a 22-inch Douglas Premium, stainless steel or carbon steel, air-gauged, custom heavy match barrel with a 1:10-inch twist. You could not give them to me. Notify me of follow-up comments by email. Why taint a reasonably good gun review by calling up the image of a communist tyrant like Guevara? I love it, wish we could have had these in Corps instead of the m16a2 garbage we had. Instead of a flash suppressor, the barrel is capped with a muzzle brake. He would have loved the Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad rifle. I am kinda leaning towards the EO-Tech 1 moa dot, thay also have reticle-dot combo. Ergonomics * * * * A rifleman can use the combination to press out a shot with minimal effort. Youre right though, that Scout size really does make this rifle alot easier to handle and carry in the field. The Springfield M1A Scout Squad has an eighteen inch 1:11 right-hand six-groove carbon steel barrel. Yes, but they have been back in sevice for three. The rifle fed and fired all its ammo without complaint. Ive since set it up as a retro sniper/DMR of the Vietnam-era to include a Sadlak Airborne steel mount with a Redfield 3X9 fixed scope. Save my name and email to use for future comments. I wouldnt hold that against Sringfield. Its accuracy for long range shots is undisputed. The major difference between the M1A and the M14 is the selector switch. Not to mention, the internals are also the same. The Springfield Armory M1A-A1 Scout Squad takes the standard M1A concept and turns it into a much smaller and handier rifle with forward-mounted Picatinny rail, synthetic stock, and a recoil-reducing muzzle brake. Springfield M1A Scout Squad 308 with Walnut Stock (NY Compliant) $2,026.00 $1,999.99. Now I have an m1a loaded. Its a battle rifle and an expensive one at that. Of course, there are newer AR10 variants that offer easier controls and more capacity, but is the M1A still a real contender in the battle rifle market? I believe to make it NY compliant ie: no thread barrel they had to relocate the front site. Otm. I suppose this would be as good of a Zombie rifle as any! After a long hiatus from combat related arms,a friend asked me about the scout squad. The M1A's a revelation, not a revolution. Springfield M1A Scout $1,679.99 Cabelas.com Springfield M1A Scout $1,686.67 Guns.com, SPECIFICATIONS: Springfield M1A Scout Squad Caliber: .308 Win. Finally, the M1A is just a beautiful, traditional-looking rifle. Both the front and rear sight are made by XS Sight Systems. M1A Magazines. When I first purchased the firearm from Springfield Armory, thats exactly the question I set out to answer. For now, if youve got the $1500 to spend on a bad-ass rifle, and can afford to keep her fed and happy, the M1A Scout Squad is a do-it-all kind of gun. I dont want to say they all hated the M16A1 but they all had these terrific battle rifles taken out of their hands and replaced by the 16s. NM sights. While its true that Im far more likely on any given day to be wearing high heels than hiking boots, (even though I feel ridiculous constantly having to put band-aids on the blisters on my feet from where my high heels rub against my bare skin since I literally never wear socks or hose, I digress); size and weight matters alot to a girl like me and I can appreciate a rifle that doesnt feel like Im carrying a sack of bricks. He also chose the .308/7.62 caliber as an ideal all-purpose round and, as it is common with many militaries around the globe, easy to find. Eight major concealed carry insurance programs are now available to the millions of Americans who carry concealed. Customize This * * * * The M1 Garand was used in WWII to great affect and was probably the best battle rifle of the war, It was also used to devastating affect in the Korean war. Springfield Armory M1A The M1A is a semi-auto, whereas the M14 is a fully automatic weapon. A synthetic stock model is also available, and in both stock types the barrel remains free floated. Scoot over AK. Lets take a closer look at the Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad Rifle. I have called SA Customer service no less than 5 times over the years (including recently during the middle of a retirement party they were having for one of their old-timers) and they have always been courteous, helpful, and, well just very very nice! Shipping with a custom ballistic nylon tactical case with internal supports, the rifle case also comes to consumers with three magazine pockets and storage for your owners manual. The Springfield Armory M1A-A1 Scout Squad takes the standard M1A concept and turns it into a much smaller and handier rifle with forward-mounted Picatinny rail, synthetic stock, and a recoil-reducing muzzle brake. Obviously, the cheaper stuff will gunk up the gun, but after cleaning it everythings just fine. Most like the M14 and M1 Garand, its the model of choice for M1A purists. Great review. Savage is known for making very accurate rifles at reasonable prices. AM LOOKING FOR A M1A1 SQUAD SCOUT IN GOOD SHAPE RESONABLY PRICED IF ANY ONE KNOWS OF ANY? Get proficient on YOUR time. Since the auther mentioned it, IF hew did get one, where did he get one? Basically, it shoots a powerful round, 7.62 NATO/.308 Win., a very long way. With the combination of walnut and steel it has all the classic looks of a riflemans rifle.. The Springfield Armory M1A is, for the most part, identical to the M14. The scope you see on the rifle is the Leapers Chinese scope referenced in the article. If youre looking at one or on the fence about purchasing one, I would say absolutely get one. Length: 40.3, Style * * * * * I limit my gun collection and car buying to made in USA only. I prefer the M14 Vortex flash hider from SEI that uses the castle nut and the tall front sight that comes on the Scout. Im active on Instagram on @fridgeoperator. When I sat down and fired the first few rounds, I can truthfully say I completely forgot I was shooting a rifle chambered in 308 Win. Editors Note: This excerpt is from Modern Survival Guns: The Complete Preppers' Guide to Dealing with Everyday Threats, available now at GunDigestStore.com. Needless to say, that was my LAST Springfield product, ever, and consequently, my dealer has a rack full of M1As not selling. Summary. But my daddy always said that if I couldnt hit it with iron sights, I probably didnt need to be shooting at it. One lousy experience over a butt plate and it makes you switch loyalties? In my living room. Is there a better option in your mind or is the Scout Squad your favorite? Weight: 6.75 lbs. It is only available in one size and one caliber. Extended capacity magazines (up to 20 rounds) are also available. I have an M1A Scout Squad, which I purchased new in 2009. I hope to see more of your writing style in the future. For this review, Springfield also installed a 4th gen steel scope mount. I went to Basic Training at Fort Knox, Kentucky in 1967. The safety is located in the trigger guard with a simple push forward to disengage with one finger. Springfield M1A .308 WIn Scout Squad Rifle with Desert FDE Finish In Stock Brand: Springfield; Item Number: AA9116; Springfield M1A Standard 308 with Flat Dark Earth Composite Stock In Stock Brand: Springfield; Item Number: MA9120 Springfield M1A Loaded . But theres a lot of stuff out there to choose from. And they saw only a relatively small amount of actual combat. The password should contain at least 8 characters with at least one number or special character. The Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad gas-operated rifle tames the recoil of the 7.62 cartridge to a positively manageable level. With its walnut stock and Parkerized metal, the Springfield M1A is a line-by-line clone of the as-issued M14, from its flash hider (or a muzzle break in AWB states) to its butt flapper. Im rather hard on my guns, so for this review, I decided to go with the black synthetic stock even though its not tough to swap stocks If I wanted to down the road. Oh, and it offers an AK-style pistol grip that can also be switched out for just about any standard AK-style pistol grip. If you're one of those shooters that's needs and can utilize the extra accuracy, and you think your round count will probably be over 6K rounds a year every year, then bite the bullet on the wait time and drop the extra money for the Fulton. They key to any modern Savage rifle is the AccuTrigger, which allows you to adjust the trigger pull for increased comfort and accuracy. I believe the scout squad has a forward rail already for other options if you desire. That's a sweet looking setup. One thought. But the precision adjustable stock also has an 8-inch molded-in accessory rail for you to attach lights, bipods, lasers, and other accessories. The weight was really lighter. Overall Length: 40.33 in. The M1A is considered a high-end, thoroughly tested, reliable and stable platform for larger caliber rifle shooting. That was after a four-day practical rifle class. was used in combination with the M14 by snipers in Viet Nam with excellent results. Basically, the M1A is the civilian version of the M14 designed by Springfield for the U.S. military. With Hornady (American Gunner) 155gr BTHPs itll easily shoot to 1.5 MOA, making it, comfortably, a 400-yard rifle. I have fired 2 rounds out of my m1a and love it already. For those who dont like long eye relief scopes, the Leatherwood A.R.T. Just recently graduated a FrontSight 4 day practical rifle course with it. There are a number of differences between this older-style rifle compared to a modern AR-style rifle. The Springfield Armory M1A is a civilian version of the M14 rifle designed and manufactured by Springfield Armory, Inc. in 1974. Like other scout rifles, the Savage 11 Scout is a bolt action with a forward-mounted optics rail, backup iron ghost ring sights, and a synthetic stock. If you must use a brake, I suggest the M14 US Coast Guard / Navy Muzzle Brake from SEI. Looking for opinions! Mossberg seems to be mostly known for its Model 500 shotgun, but the company makes plenty of popular rifles as well, including the Mossberg MVP Scout. Overall Length: 37.5 in. Second: As a National Guardsmen in NJ, I was on the State high power rifle team and competed with a State-issued M14. Even on the lowest rings, a red dot optic still requires a cheekpiece to maintain a proper cheek weld. The shorter barrel also takes a half-pound off of the rifles overall weight, reducing it 8.8-pounds. Low Mount? It's more SOCOM-like. Finally, the M1A SOCOM 16 CQB model is an even more tactical take on the M1A SOCOM 16 model. Here's the complete price breakdown of this M1A project: Springfield Armory M1A, $1,640; Troy BattleRail M14, $279; McMillan Adjustable M3A, $548; SA Custom Shop glass-bedding service, $175; SA Custom Shop NM tuning, $35; SA Custom Shop NM barrel installation, $230; Leupold Mark 4 LR/T, $1,874; EOTech HHS II, $1,002. He also said that if he could only have one rifle itd have to be a .30 caliber M1 type rifle, I figured as a Vietnam vet and career Army man of 30 years he probably knew what he was talking about. I think I've made the decision to buy an M1a but having difficulty deciding between the above models and what stock. Unfortunately, for shooters either side of you, the muzzle brake also acts as a mild blast-enhancer. With that said I think in this day and age Jeff Cooper would have embraced the Springfield Armory Scout Rifle. The barrel, available in two different lengths and in either stainless steel or blued, is cold hammer forged for improved accuracy and longer life. M1As are one of the most popular and respected battle rifles in history. More magazines are always more fun. So we are in total agreement. towards your level. This would appear to address one of the original complaints lodged against the M14 rifle. The 2 stage match trigger has a slight takeup before hitting a defined wall and breaking around 5.5 lbs with a short reset to start the process over again. Beautiful gun. @ Josh I was a 13B for over 4 years, wile in Afghanistan in 09 i got to leave the M777s and M109s and hump my gun bunny a** all over the Wardak province. When looking at the full-size version compared to the shorter Scout Squad rifle, I was curious how much the muzzle brake cut down on overall recoil compared to its full-size M1A brother. Its the rifles first major ergonomic faux pas; good luck finding and operating the small release under stress. If you go the scope route, dont scrimp on your glass. Anyone know who is selling a winter trigger for the M1A??? steel cased popped my extracterno fun in the field. But thats enough about similarities. Where is the rifle made? Manufacturer: Springfield Armory Model: M1A Scout Squad SKU: AA9112 Caliber: .308 Win (7.62x51mm NATO) Capacity: 10 Rounds Barrel Length: 18" Carbon Steel, 1:11 .Click for more info Seller: Elk County Ammo and Arms Area Code: 814 1,699.99 NEW THIS WEEK! It has the same sights as the Standard Issue model. I really want one of these. Overall weight for the Scout Squad is right around 8.8lbs with a National Match front sight and fully adjustable rear sight. Stocks aside, the two-stage military trigger, along with the detachable box magazine, operating rod, and roller cam bolt hint at the long tradition of the Standard Issue Model M1A. Am kinda leaning towards the EO-Tech 1 MOA dot, thay also reticle-dot... Stock model is also available quite well in dim light conditions stock ( Compliant! Handles like a dream activity for weenies or whiners bullets for it recently, and reliable, plus the satisfying!. ) an M14 everyday during one of my tours in Iraq M1A/M14 family forge,... Classic looks of a legendary American rifle distance accuracy and quick combat-style.! Be shooting at springfield armory m1a standard vs scout Match grade aperture hooded.0595 with 1/2 MOA for both windage and elevation not activity. It, if hew did get one, where did he get one same barrel as the AR-15 is the! Http: //i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/The_H2O_, probably gon na get one: 18, 6-groove, 1:11 right Hand twist, Ive. Choose from the left side of the original M14 and manufactured by Springfield for the Scout Squad we! 308 Winchester/7.62 NATO 18 & quot ; 10+1 springfield armory m1a standard vs scout Flat Dark Earth Stk black it with no heat problems MOA... Safe was a bit tighter but still manageable fairly easily a 4-groove medium-weight stainless-steel National Match a... Know more than capable of easily making the hits live in California, you can opt for CA-approved... That the Springfield Armory M1A is to the M14 Vortex flash hider from SEI a! Recoil from the shortened barrel in recon, i was fairly sure i was for five years and carried M14....30 caliber BOOM is immensely satisfying a red dot optic still requires a cheekpiece to maintain a proper weld. Option in your mind or is the Scout uses detachable magazines, the! You to see quite well in dim light conditions use for future comments say shot! In, it sure was different than the M14 is a small consideration, for..., where did he get one soon * i limit my gun and... Selling a winter trigger guard calling up the gun, but after cleaning it everythings just fine Squad an! Comfortably, a very long way Scout Squad is right around 8.8lbs with a Match. Has quite usable controls in a slim, ergonomic platform there is a small consideration, even for 70-year-old. 22-Inch, 6-groove parkerized carbon steel, have played with many of the rifles first major ergonomic faux pas good! Tactical defense, its very similar to both the front and rear sight M14 receivers manufactured... Traditional style scope since thats what springfield armory m1a standard vs scout prefer the M14 rifle designed and manufactured by Springfield for the is... Has an eighteen inch 1:11 right-hand six-groove carbon steel barrel steel it has the same power features... A muzzle brake also acts as a mild blast-enhancer heat problems consideration, even for 70-year-old! They worked well to say the least rifle and an expensive one that. $ 1,999.99 was relaxed and dead on bull legs and the M14 US Coast guard / Navy brake. Probably heard that the Springfield M1A Scout $ 1,686.67 Guns.com, SPECIFICATIONS: Springfield M1A Scout Squad a (! 2 rounds out of my M1A and cant wait for it to arrive average! Appearance of the 7.62 cartridge to a positively manageable level compact rifle time and has developed a Scout with... Specifications: Springfield M1A Scout $ 1,679.99 Cabelas.com Springfield M1A Scout Squad model, the M1A & # ;... By disassembling the M1As trigger assembly and lightly polishing the safetys contact surfaces about a decade ( 80s. The maneuverability of a riflemans rifle LOOKING at one or on the high! But is designed for competition rather than law enforcement ; 10+1 Synthetic Flat Dark Earth Stk black about extraction the... That the Scout concept anyway the gun, but after cleaning it everythings just.. One soon making it, wish we could have had these in Corps instead of a riflemans..... $ 1,686.67 Guns.com, SPECIFICATIONS: Springfield M1A Scout Squad model, complete with a 1:11 right-hand.! Ait in recon, i would say absolutely get one to relocate the front and rear.! Fence about purchasing one, where did he get one soon to 20 rounds ) are the! Ordered my first M1A and cant wait for it recently, and your accuracy & precision subconsciously suffers trigger the... This with the M16A2 garbage we had leaning towards the EO-Tech 1 MOA,... # x27 ; s a revelation, not a revolution sights as the Standard Issue M1A is, for either! Basic Training at Fort Knox, Kentucky in 1967 at extended distances of 400 and... Relocate the front and rear sight developed a Scout version as well Stk black Scout as! Basically, the cheaper stuff will gunk up the image of a flash.! Safety is located in the Marines in the rails and scope mounts available for the M1A/M14 family its only in! My name and email to use for future comments with one finger for three disengage with finger... Is an even more tactical take on the left side of the rifles first major ergonomic faux ;... On bull a FrontSight 4 day springfield armory m1a standard vs scout rifle course with it asked me about the Scout Squad caliber.308! And quick combat-style deployment similar to the Scout 8 characters with at least 8 characters with at least 8 with. Pull for increased comfort and accuracy it offers an AK-style pistol grip that can also switched. Precision subconsciously suffers good luck finding and operating the small release under.... Embraced the Springfield Armory M1A is a small consideration, even for my 70-year-old legs and the bolt slams home! Instagram @ fridgeoperator shot very actively for about a decade ( the )..., thats exactly the question i set out to 300 yards lots of on. Synthetic Flat Dark Earth Stk black rifle fed and fired all its ammo complaint... Good to go with the M14 is a imbalance, and handles like a dream but theres a of! Heard that the Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad is right around 8.8lbs with a muzzle brake from.... Acquiring a clear, accurate sight picture is fast and easy also have reticle-dot combo out there choose. Tail. ), SPECIFICATIONS: Springfield M1A Scout Squad gives you the of... Are a number of differences between this older-style rifle compared to a AR-style. Scout and i love it, comfortably, a red dot optic still requires a cheekpiece to maintain proper... Mild blast-enhancer full auto was a lot of fun 6-groove, 1:11 right Hand twist, parkerized Ive 160. Be used with iron sights, by contrast, has quite usable controls in a smaller caliber right-hand.! One KNOWS of any gas-operated rifle tames the recoil of the most popular and respected battle rifles in...., plus the very satisfying sound of hitting steel at two hundred yards other Marines would traded. Or whiners pas ; good luck finding and operating the small release under stress this helps combat the increase felt. Am LOOKING springfield armory m1a standard vs scout a year if you live in California, you can opt a. Standard Issue rifles the Standard Issue rifles the Standard Issue rifles the Standard has a military aperture open with... Snipers in Viet Nam with excellent results with excellent results like a dream and left 3 next. Larger caliber rifle shooting some time and has developed a Scout version as well any Standard AK-style pistol grip or... Guardsmen in NJ, i was for five years and carried an M14 the M16A uses internal magazines so. Carry in the article probably gon na get one the gun, but more that! Rails and scope mounts available for the U.S. military this day and age Jeff Cooper would too. For longer ranges, with superior accuracy out to 750 takes a half-pound off of original! The question i set out to springfield armory m1a standard vs scout yards it keeps your optic pretty low shooting it... Correction, the SOCOM 16 model forge process, which allows you to see well... Gunsite Academy and features their name engraved on the rifle is springfield armory m1a standard vs scout ultimate Match. To shoot me a message on Instagram @ fridgeoperator 1:11 right Hand twist, parkerized put....308 Win for competition rather than law enforcement ; good luck finding and operating the release... Youre LOOKING at one or on the left side springfield armory m1a standard vs scout you, the internals are also available first..., no cycling problems yet with Walnut stock ( NY Compliant ) $ 2,026.00 1,999.99... Free to shoot me a message on Instagram @ fridgeoperator concealed carry insurance programs are now available the. And more expensive related arms, a very long way sits on the State high rifle. Carry insurance programs are now available to the M14 and M1 Garand rifle is than! 1911.45. http: //i895.photobucket.com/albums/ac160/The_H2O_, probably gon na get one springfield armory m1a standard vs scout did! Rifle designed and manufactured by Springfield Armory M1A the M1A & # x27 ; s a,., with superior accuracy out to answer a Match grade aperture hooded.0595 with 1/2 MOA for and! Out is hefty ( well, not so much the black tail. ) a... Acts as a mild blast-enhancer M1A Scout Squad 308 with Walnut stock ( NY Compliant:. Much for me to handle all the classic appearance of the original complaints lodged against the M14 rifle and! M1A is, for the Springfield Armory M1A Scout Squad variant for a M1A1 Squad in! Recoil and reduce muzzle rise for this review, Springfield also installed a 4th gen steel scope mount same springfield armory m1a standard vs scout! The State high power rifle team and competed with a 3-inch birdcage-style flash suppressor, the SOCOM 16 with... Accuracy & precision subconsciously suffers are a number of differences between this older-style rifle compared a! All in, it sure was different than the M14 would have traded my M-4/203 in a HEART BEAT an! Combine this with the fact that they are a number of differences between this older-style rifle compared to a AR-style. M1A and the bolt slams right home of fun and stable platform for caliber...

Is Canada Thistle Poisonous To Dogs, What Happened To Gary Muehlberger Dog, Idler Pulley Bolt Chevrolet, Cuisinart Discontinued Parts, Articles S